Back to School Safety Reminder
Please Drive Safe in EagleVail
School is back in session which means extra vehicle traffic in the mornings and afternoons in school zones, as well as extra pedestrian traffic. The EagleVail Metro District is taking a moment to remind car and motorcycle drivers of some basic, yet very important safety precautions that should be taken near school zones in order to avoid accidents and fatalities. Children and young adults tend to be more easily distracted than adults, and their movements are also more unpredictable, especially when they’re around other classmates.
Here are a few simple precautions to take when driving near schools or areas where children congregate:
• Drive Slowly – Give yourself more time to react to other vehicles and pedestrians. This is the reason the speed limit is lowered in school zones.
• Don’t Get Distracted – Do whatever you need to do to prevent yourself from getting distracted. Whether that means putting your cell phone in the glove compartment so that you’re not tempted to use it, turning off the music or navigation system, or waiting to eat or drink – do whatever it takes to keep your eyes and your attention on the road.
• Be on the Lookout for Children –Be on alert for children walking, running, on bicycles or skateboards. Even if it’s after school hours, don’t assume that you can let your guard down. There are many after school sporting and extracurricular events that take place at or near schools.
• Stop for a School Bus – You must stop when you see a school bus flashing its red overhead lights. It doesn’t matter which direction you are approaching the school bus from, you must stop regardless. Drivers should wait till the red lights stop flashing to proceed.
• Be Extra Cautious – When your visibility is impaired, whether it’s dark out or in bad weather, you need to proceed with even greater caution and slower speed.